Monday, April 30, 2012

Alphabet Chalkboard


This alphabet chalkboard is a project I completed recently and ended up using as part of my Magazine Copy Cat Challenge.  It started out as a simple mirror I found at Salvation Army for $2.99.   


I had already removed the mirror part and was painting it with chalkboard paint, when I remembered to take a "before" picture. :-)  So here is the mirror before, sans the glass part.



I lightly sanded the frame with 150 grit sandpaper and then spray-painted it gold.  Gold spray-paint is the one color I didn't already have on hand for this project. I purchased some for $3.67 at Walmart.


Next, I raided my scrap-booking supplies of all the left over letter stickers I could find.  I was surprised at the amount I've hoarded collected over the years.  I stuck the stickers randomly over the entire frame.   


Then, I painted the entire frame with a soft white spray-paint.



Next comes the fun part. . .removing all the stickers. :-)  This part did take a little while, however using tweezers really helped to speed up the process.  After all the stickers were removed, I lightly sanded to give it a distressed look.  Then, I stained it using a dark walnut stain I already had on hand.



And here is the before and after. The pictures don't show it, but the letters have a slight metallic quality that I'm really digging. :-)

Have you used stickers before in any of your projects?



Don't forget to
 come join in the fun tomorrow at our:


Celebrating National Pet Week!



Linking up to these fine parties:









11 comments:

  1. How cute! I love this simple project. Fun to change things up and give them new life. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharla this is a great idea very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool and creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative and awesome looking! You were lucky to find so many letters:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all of them but the kid in me wants the silly one with all the old letters. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow a mirror for 2.99 what a steal! I just saw one similar but it was 14.99 at our salvation army...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome project! Loved it! Thanks for visiting and following me now! I'm your new friend and follower!
    Take care, Reina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this great idea, thanks so much for sharing it with us at Ivy and Elephants.
    You were a feature this week! Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...